clinical facilities



The Brigham and Women’s Hospital

Brigham and Women's HospitalThe hospital was founded as the Peter Bent Brigham Hospital in 1911, adjacent to and closely tied to the Harvard Medical School. The Brigham and Women's Hospital was formed by a merger of the Peter Bent Brigham, Robert Breck Brigham Hospital (for arthritis and other chronic illness), and the Boston Hospital for Women. In 2008, the Carl J. and Ruth Shapiro Cardiovascular Center opened across from the Hospital’s main entrance.  It is the first “green medical building” in the Longwood Medical area and contains 136 beds.  It is connected to the main tower building of the hospital, containing 726 beds, which was completed in 1980 and also contains a 20 bed neuroscience intensive care unit.  BWH discharges the greatest number of patients in the Harvard system.  Both referral patients and acute care patients from the inner city and greater Boston area are served.

The Neurology Department at the BWH maintains an inpatient service of approximately 20 patients with about 1300 admissions per year, and a consult service, which sees over 1500 consultations per year. BWH is a Department of Public Health designated Primary Stroke Center.  The inpatient service is located in the BWH patient tower sharing space and nursing personnel with neurosurgery. There is a neuroscience ICU integrating the best neurological and surgical care and an epilepsy-monitoring unit. In the ambulatory center, the neurology department handles over 20,000 patient visits per year in both general neurology and various subspecialty units including neuromuscular disease, memory disorders, headache, epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, cancer neurology, cognitive and behavioral neurology, stroke, neuro-ophthalmology and movement disorders.